Photos courtesy of Auberge de Campveerse Toren








The town of Veere began as a fishing village but soon took on importance as a trading center—particularly with the Scottish wool trade.

In the late 14th century, any town worth respectability was fortified with walls, towers, and gates. Wolferd IV van Borsele, Lord of Veere, extended these fortifications in strategic positions about town with the goal of improving the streets and rebuilding the traditional wooden houses in stone to lessen the threat of fire.

By the beginning of the 16th century, the Lord of Veere transformed Campveerse Toren from a fortification to an inn. In 1553, the Lord of Veere gave ownership of the tower to the town if the town promised to lease it to serious innkeepers.

When Napoleon occupied Veere, the profitable wool trade with Scotland came to an end and so did the town’s fortunes. Campveerse Toren deteriorated and suffered further damage during the Nazi occupation in World War II.

In 1959, Veere was closed off to the sea by a land dike, and the town found new life as a boat harbor.

Pamela’s Perspective

Although all the rooms of the auberge are cozy and well appointed, go for one of the four rooms in the main building. Room #1 is a corner room and has the best view of the lake and the town.


Auberge de Campveerse Toren

A 14th-century fortified inn


Kaai 2
4351 AA Veere
Tel: ++31 (0) 118 501 291
Fax: ++31 (0) 118 200 022
Hotel website
Reserve with

Fast facts

14 rooms; 4 in main building, the other 10 are in 3 annexes.

Double rooms: 125–215 euros
Rates include breakfast and tax. 3% extra if paying by credit card.

Open: all year, but limited in January (restaurant closed Monday and Tuesday from November to April 1)

Getting there

Veere is on the former island of Noord-Beveland, along the shore of Veerse Meer. It is well connected by bus from Middleburg. The auberge is right on the waterfront. Parking is a short distance away and is free from October to April.

What to do

Nearby: exploring the town of Veere; hiking; sailing; bicycling


Yes. The old tower is available. Contact hotel for details.


Who would have thought during the heyday of the Scottish wool trade that the town of Veere would be given over to pleasure boats and tourists from all over the world who have come to look at the charming Gothic fa├žades of its buildings?

The town is indeed a delight and worth an overnight or two in romantic accommodations built right into the town’s fortifications.

Campveerse Toren has welcomed guests throughout the centuries. Peter the Great to Princess Grace and Prince Rainier of Monaco have come to dine here. William of Orange married his third wife, Charlotte de Bourbon, here in 1575. Obviously impressed by the facilities, he married his fourth wife, Louise de Coligny, here, too in 1583.

The inn only has fourteen guest rooms, and these are spread out in four separate buildings. In the original tower building, the two upstairs rooms feature marble baths, views, and either a king-size or twin beds. Two rooms on the ground floor have smaller windows with lake views and very nice bathrooms.

Three annexes hold the remaining guest rooms, and they are from 10 to 50 meters away from the reception and dining room. The two rooms in the ’t Sterntje annex are small studios with a kitchenette and a separate bedroom. Room #17 in the ’t Waterschip annex has a romantic bath tub in the room and access to a garden. Upstairs rooms in the annexes are reached by steep stairways, so if you have large, heavy bags, you might want something on the ground level.

In the old tower you’ll find a romantic 17th-century style dining room with views of the lake and an enormous stone fireplace. Seafood is a specialty. Reservations recommended. High tea is also served at the hotel.

Something special

curlicueThe Auberge Campveerse Toren has operated as an inn for over 500 years, making it one of the oldest in the Netherlands.