le chateau d'osthoffen

Photos courtesy of Le Château d’Osthoffen

 

osthoffen-t1

osthoffen-t2

osthoffen-t3

osthoffen-t4

 

longlongago

Le Château d’Osthoffen began life as a watchtower built by the Romans to keep an eye out for Germanic invaders. In the 12th century, it became a proper fortified castle. The Bishop of Strasbourg laid siege to the castle in 1410, causing a fire that destroyed the third floor. The castle managed to survive the Thirty Years War, and at that time, since it no longer had any military use, the castle took on the features of a Renaissance-style estate. Windows were added. Life was good—for a while. During the French Revolution, the new authorities ordered that the towers be destroyed, but they were quickly rebuilt under the next regime.

In 1817, Vicount François Grouvel bought the property and continued modernizing the architecture. The family and the château suffered during the Franco-Prussian war and then again during World War II, when many of its art treasures were stolen—a misfortune common to many estates on the French-German border.

Pamela’s Perspective

The castle is a bed-and-breakfast property only. The family can make nearby restaurant suggestions for you.

 

Le Château d’Osthoffen

A 12th-century castle

Contact

67990 Osthoffen
Tel: ++33 (0) 3 88 96 00 23
Fax: ++33 (0) 3 88 96 63 89
Hotel website
Reserve with Booking.com

Fast facts

10 rooms

Double rooms: 140–190 euros
Single rooms: 100–110 euros
Rates include breakfast.

Open: all year, but inquire about seasonal closings.

Getting there

From Strasbourg, drive west on D45 and turn off on “Route d’Osthoffen.” The nearest train station is 15 km away in Strasbourg (only 8 km from airport).

What to do

Nearby: Strasbourg; wine route

Weddings

Yes. Inquire hotel for details.

 

This warm and cozy bed-and-breakfast castle has been in the same family for over 200 years. Baron Philippe Grouvel and his wife Lalage have transformed the family home into welcoming accommodations for the traveler.

You’ll find the ten guest rooms vary from large doubles to snug singles. What’s charming is that some of the rooms have a personal history. One room used to belong to the castle’s first owner, Viscount François Grouvel; another belonged to the present owner’s grandfather, and is called the “Baron Leon” room. Others are named after various German ancestors.

Guest rooms are thoughtfully decorated with faithful reproductions of 19th-century designs. All have en suite bathrooms. Views can be of the moat, entry bridge, tower, park, or the distant Vosges mountains.

Breakfast is buffet style, and best of all (and highly unusual for France), it’s included in the room rate.

Something special

curlicueThe castle has been in the same family for two hundred years.